When a loved one passes away, planning the funeral can be hard when you’re grieving at the same time. It’s not uncommon for families to experience tension and added stress during this period, but one practical way to avoid this is to get your affairs in order with prepaid funerals.
As you get older it’s only natural to start thinking about what’s going to happen when you pass away including the type of funeral you’d like. If you’ve put money aside for this, investing in a prepaid funeral service is a great way of managing funeral costs and having more control over the options available. So, what are prepaid funerals?
As funeral experts, we’ve put together this useful blog to get you informed about prepaid funeral plans and how they can work for you. Read on to learn more.
What is a prepaid funeral?
As the name suggests, a prepaid funeral is a cremation or burial that is planned before an individual passes away. Paying through monthly instalments or a one-off payment, this freezes the total costs so you won’t need to fork out additional money due to a price increase. Depending on the funeral you choose, your package may include transportation, the casket, flowers, memorials and more. You can also express clear preferences about the arrangements of your funeral and what should happen.
What type of funeral plans are there?
Funeral plans are available at different prices and with different package types depending on your needs. Commonly funeral plans cover the following options:
- Burials – a chapel service and site burial.
- Cremations – a method of final disposition where the remains are burned into ashes to be scattered or collected into an urn.
- Green burials – an eco-friendly burial in woodland environments. These types of burials limit the impact on the environment through features such as biodegradable caskets.
- Direct cremation – a very basic cremation where the directors decide the venue and date.
- Bespoke – as well as the standard options available, you can also add in the funeral options that you really want. Bespoke funerals offer greater flexibility right down to the fine details.
Once you’ve decided what type of funeral you would like, you can choose a package that has all the features you’d like, including:
- Director services – this covers the services and organisation done by the funeral director. The great thing about prepaid funeral plans is that once you’ve decided on everything you’d like to be included you don’t need to worry!
- Casket or urn – depending on the package you select you may be given a select few options of caskets and urns to choose from. However, bespoke packages will give you complete flexibility about the kind of coffin you would like from colourful picture coffins to classic designs and urns.
- Vehicles – plans may also include transportation for your family including a hearse to bring the deceased to the chapel or crematorium.
- Guidance on documentation – if you need help with documentation, the funeral directors will have this covered, offering expert advice on everything you need to know once your loved one has passed.
- Music – special requests such as music are the perfect finishing touches to a funeral but it may be difficult for your family to know exactly what you’d like if you don’t have a plan. You have the option to add these details in for the future.
- Third-party costs – there are also third-party expenses that need to be covered such as ministers, doctors and churches that the funeral director has no control over. Although these may increase over time, having many set aside for this will still be a huge help to your family.
Here at Stockman & Loram, we offer a range of funeral plans that cater for all needs. Our experienced team will talk you through the options available and help you decide on a plan that works for you. We also offer bespoke extras such as cremation jewellery, catering and memorial stones. Find out more today.
What are the benefits of a prepaid funeral?
According to SunLife, the average cost of a UK funeral in 2019 was £4,417 and the total cost of dying in 2019 was £9,493. This is a large sum of your money for your family to prepare for, so helping them out in any way possible will always be appreciated. Prepaid funerals are a popular option and a practical way of beating the rising costs of funerals.
Prepaid funerals are also beneficial in the following ways:
- More control – if you have particular ideas about how you’d like your funeral service to be but you don’t have anything formally written down or planned, you might not get everything you’d like. Prepaid funerals give you a lot more control over every aspect of your funeral so you don’t need to worry about what’s going to happen once you pass. Remember, it’s your funeral and you have a right to say what you do and don’t want and a prepaid plan gives you that control.
- Peace of mind – as much as your family will do their best to give you the send-off you deserve, funerals can be a huge financial burden that many people struggle to afford. Starting your prepaid plan means your family has one less thing to worry about and when the time comes for your funeral, they can celebrate your life rather than worry about covering the costs.
- Less stress for your family – it’s not uncommon for disagreements to happen when families plan a funeral. With everyone contributing different ideas and disagreeing about payments, during this time emotions are already heightened which adds to the stress. However, you can eliminate this by having a plan already in place, so all your loved ones need to do is contact your funeral provider and arrange any personal touches they see fit.
- Lock in funeral prices – funerals are not cheap so choosing a prepaid option can make the funeral costs more affordable. Spreading the costs over several years is a great investment and if you’re already putting money aside for your funeral, this option can make things even easier by setting your plans into motion.
Stockman & Loram: Affordable prepaid funeral plans in Torbay
Here at Stockman & Loram, based in Torbay, we offer prepaid funeral plans with flexible payment options. We understand how daunting it can be thinking about your own funeral, but our plans can ease the stress for your family and give you peace of mind.
Our range of funeral plans has everything covered so you can plan a funeral service that’s bespoke to you. We offer bronze, silver, gold and bespoke packages so there’s an option for every budget. From high-quality caskets to beautiful flowers and the service itself, our experience in funeral planning will help you make the necessary arrangements you need.
Whether you’d like a green burial or a cremation we can help. Unlike national funeral providers, Stockman & Loram is a family-owned and operated funeral home with deep local connections throughout Paignton and the surrounding areas. We have the experience and the knowledge to give you the right advice about which funeral plan will best suit you. Get in touch today and find out more.